Our Company HistoryA brief history – from Carlos A. Coelho, Founder and CEO
SportsScarf, LLC has been in operation since 1997. Founded in Mattapoisett, Massachusetts as SoccerScarf, our company concentrated on creating custom scarves for soccer clubs at the youth, high school, collegiate and professional levels.
Growing up, I enjoyed playing and watching most sports, including soccer (played soccer and baseball at Franklin Pierce University). Following my father’s lead, I grew up as a proud supporter of Sporting Clube de Portugal or simply, Sporting. My father exposed me to memorable soccer matches such as:
- 1975 – Boston Minutemen featuring Portugal great, Eusébio & American goalkeeper, Shep Messing.
- 1992 – U.S. Cup – Ireland v Portugal at Foxboro, MA
- 1994 – FIFA World Cup – Argentina v Greece at Foxboro, MA
- 1996 – Major League Soccer – its inaugural season
From an early age, I collected soccer scarves from clubs throughout the world. Unfortunately, at that time, the American stadiums did not offer soccer scarves to the fans in attendance … I saw an opportunity.
My father and I at Gillette Stadium – 2013 Brazil vs Portugal.
Modest booth at 2002 NSCAA Convention in Philadelphia.
2002 FIFA World Cup – Korea/Japan US Soccer/Nike scarf
With the encouragement of my wife and co-owner, Linda, I quit my government position to start “SoccerScarf”.
SoccerScarf/SportsScarf Featured Milestones:
- 1997 – SoccerScarf was created
- 2002 – Manufactured US Soccer/Nike scarf (Pictured below)
- 2002 – 1st scarf licensee of the MLS
- 2002 – 1st scarf license of the Women’s United Soccer Association (WUSA).
- 2003 – Entered the Collegiate Licensing market
- 2004 – Started supplying MLS scarves for Adidas (exclusive MLS partner)
- 2007 to present – USA Summer Friendlies (Chelsea, Manchester United, Juventus, and more)
- 2011 – American Hockey League License
- 2015 – College Football Playoff License
I have been fortunate to have attended many outstanding matches in Europe including derbies in Lisbon, London, Madrid, Milan, Munich, the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany and UEFA Euro 2016 Final in Paris.
It has been a pleasure to witness the growth and passion of soccer in the U.S., both on the field and in the stands.
SportsScarf strives to remain as the standard of excellence for custom scarves.
Now, as SportsScarf enters its 21st year, we continue to expand our services throughout North America and beyond.
We look forward to assisting you with creating your next scarf.
Carlos A. Coelho