Our Company HistoryA brief history – from Carlos A. Coelho, Founder and CEO
SportsScarf, LLC has been in operation since 1997. Founded in Mattapoisett, Massachusetts as SoccerScarf, our company concentrated on creating custom scarves for soccer clubs at the youth, high school, collegiate and professional levels. Growing up, I enjoyed playing and watching most sports, including soccer (played soccer and baseball at Franklin Pierce University). Following my father’s lead, I grew up as a proud supporter of Sporting Clube de Portugal or simply, Sporting. My father exposed me to memorable soccer matches such as:
- 1975 – Boston Minutemen featuring Portugal great, Eusébio & American goalkeeper, Shep Messing.
- 1992 – U.S. Cup – Ireland v Portugal at Foxboro, MA
- 1994 – FIFA World Cup – Argentina v Greece at Foxboro, MA
- 1996 – Major League Soccer – its inaugural season
My father and I at Gillette Stadium – 2013 Brazil vs Portugal.
Modest booth at 2002 NSCAA Convention in Philadelphia.
2002 FIFA World Cup – Korea/Japan US Soccer/Nike scarf
With the encouragement of my wife and co-owner, Linda, I quit my government position to start “SoccerScarf”. SoccerScarf/SportsScarf Featured Milestones:
- 1997 – SoccerScarf was created
- 2002 – Manufactured US Soccer/Nike scarf (Pictured below)
- 2002 – 1st scarf licensee of the MLS
- 2002 – 1st scarf license of the Women’s United Soccer Association (WUSA).
- 2003 – Entered the Collegiate Licensing market
- 2004 – Started supplying MLS scarves for Adidas (exclusive MLS partner)
- 2007 to present – USA Summer Friendlies (Chelsea, Manchester United, Juventus, and more)
- 2011 – American Hockey League License
- 2015 – College Football Playoff License
Carlos A. Coelho