The debate may never end! Is it Ronaldo or is it Messi? While both players have achieved greatness on the pitch, it’s hard to say which player is better. Let’s look at some facts:
There are great similarities between the players:
• Over their careers, both players have regularly broken the 50 goal barrier in a single season and both have scored over 400 goals for club and country.
• The FIFA Ballon d’Or has been dominated by Messi and Ronaldo. Since, 2011, the two have finished either first or second with Ronaldo winning the last two.
• In the 2014 / 2015 season:
o Messi had 43 goals and 22 assists in 41 appearances.
o Ronaldo had 42 goals, and 16 assists in 40 appearances.
• They are the two highest paid players in football and both are worth over $200M.
• They have the two biggest social media followings in the world among sports fans
However, there are differences between the players, as well:
• Ronaldo is older (by two years), has played in more games (over 100 more), and has scored more career goals than Messi (over 20).
• Ronaldo, at 6’1, is 6 inches taller than Messi.
• Ronaldo is confident and often seen as a bit of a showoff and a bit arrogant. Messi, on the other hand, is seen as shy and humble; a true workman who gets the job done.
• They represent the bitter rivals of Barcelona and Real Madrid.
• They even have competing sportswear sponsors. Ronaldo of Nike and Messi of Adidas.
In short, it’s hard to see much of a difference on the pitch and comes down to personal preference. Some like cats, some like dogs. Some like vanilla, some like chocolate. The debate will continue long after their careers are over but, regardless of your personal preference, there is no doubt that Ronaldo and Messi are two of the greatest players in the history of the sport of soccer.